Heads of state, health care officials, ordinary citizens — and the Wall Street JournalÂ and New York Times — areÂ tracking the advance of swine flu across the world.
Writers at the two papersÂ are posting up-to-the-minute updates on where the flu is,Â and what governments and corporations are doing about it.
On Sunday, Swiss drug company Roche Holding AG said it stands ready to deliver up to 3 million Tamiflu dosesÂ to the World Health Organization. Anti-viral medicines like Tamiflu can help flu sufferers recover quicker and with fewer side-effects.
Roche also said half of the Tamiflu it is donating is being stored in the United States, the other half in Switzerland. “As soon as the WHO tells us how many doses need to be delivered where, we will supply it,”Â Roche spokeswoman Claudia Schmitt toldÂ MarketWatch.
On Monday, shares of drug companies that make anti-virals, vaccines and testsÂ rose on Wall Street. Shares of Roche, Gilead Sciences and GlaxoSmithKline were among those that rose an averageÂ 6 percent.
Meanwhile, the threat of a swine flu pandemic unsteadied investors and business people Tuesday, disrupting travel plans and sending some stock markets down on fears that a pandemic would worsen the world’s already poor economy.
More stories worth a read:
- Peeling the onion: Is more conflict of interest disclosure getting us closer to the truth? (TheHeart.org)
- Executives’ pay at nonprofit hospitals getting closer scrutiny (Cleveland Plain Dealer)
- The biometric market: A recession-proof area of growth and opportunities, says Frost & SullivanÂ (PR Newswire)
- Frost & Sullivan: The pharmaceutical customer management relationship market — What are the emerging trends and opportunities?Â (PR Newswire)
- Bosch enters remote electronicsÂ healthcare market with Health Buddy(VentureBeat)
- Reform means leaner hospitalsÂ (HealthLeaders Media)
- LCA-Vision announces first quarter 2009 financial resultsÂ (PR Newswire)
- Hospira reports reports first-quarter 2009 resultsÂ (PR Newswire)
- Pfizer reports first-quarter 2009 results; reaffirms full-year 2009Â financial guidance for revenues and adjusted resultsÂ (BusinessWire)Â
- BristolMyers-Squibb reports excellent first-quarter financial results; delivers on two significant strategic initiativesÂ (BusinessWire)
New York Times swine flu map is at: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/04/26/us/20090427-flu-graphic.html
Isn't it wonderful we have a new worry? The economy and the stimulus have become so "oh like droll" Well folks its a paper pig - just like the last one - just like mad cows (my neighbors cows aren't mad at anybody) - just like E.coli blah blah - blah blah blah - blaaaaah. My advice as a clinician of experience - become a compulsive hand washer and wear an asafoetida sack! Love you guys! Ginger the proverbial "wet blanket"